Skip to main content

Lord, Cleanse Us Of All This Stuff

Ah, boys. They are the most amazing little creatures, aren't they?  They're so messy and loud that sometimes I want to cover my eyes and my ears at the same time, but I don't seem to have enough hands. So instead, I smile and laugh just to keep from crying. My house is always messy. Always. Which I don't understand because I spend most of my spare time cleaning. Well, since I'm being honest...technically I'm not cleaning as much as I'm picking up junk and moving it from room to room. Seriously, how did we ever get so much stuff? And why do my kids always want more stuff? They don't ever seem to be satisfied with anything for longer than a few days. My heart wants to blame it on society as a whole and come up with some wisdom as to how it's a characteristic of their generation because they haven't had to learn patience in this fast-paced world they're growing up in, but my head knows that isn't true. I'm no psychology buff, but I vaguely remember learning that the majority of our personality traits are in response to the environments in which we grow up. So yes, I am admitting (to the entire internet-o-sphere I might add) that I must play some part in their lack of appreciation and constant desire for more. Have they really learned this from me? As I dig deep within and evaluate my own life, I am beginning to see where it's coming from. It's this house. My beautiful house that I've spent years dreaming of. We've lived her a little less than a year and I am often catching myself wanting more. I love this house, and I would even be happy to grow old in this house, but I am always coming up with little ideas and projects to make it even better. I think one of the hardest parts of being a parent is seeing your own flawed behavior surface in your children. I think it's safe to say that the boys and I will be sitting down for a little heart to heart about all this "stuff". After I spend a little time with my Heavenly Father asking him to cleanse my heart of all my unnecessary "stuff". I guess that often the answer to our questions lie within us. Lord, thank you for this beautiful life and amazing little family you have graced me with. Since I was a little girl I have dreamed of being a mommy to sweet little babies and to have a loving, devoted husband. You have truly given me the desires of my heart. Please forgive me for ever losing sight of that.. So with that little nugget of wisdom, I'm going to call it a night and spend the last few moments of my day curled up to that sweet husband of mine.

Goodnight ☺️

Comments